Over the summer, knowing that this was a large project and would likely cause the path to be closed to traffic for a few days, we tacked some boards on the end to lessen the drop. We knew at the time that we would need to make a more permanent repair over the winter when we would be able to close the front nine for a day or two.
The first step in making this transition smoother was to saw cut across the concrete to prepare an area to be removed. Rather than take out the entire slab of concrete we went back about 24". This gave us enough room to make a nice smooth grade up to the level of the bridge decking.
The next step is to jackhammer out the section of concrete abutting the bridge. This section of concrete was nearly 8" deep! This would have been far too much concrete to remove and was really not needed, so ultimately we only took out 4"-5". This gave us enough depth to make sure that the concrete stayed intact but sped the project up by not needing to remove excess amounts of concrete. Additionally, leaving some of the existing base of concrete, we felt, would give us more stability for the new concrete being poured.
Once we had excavated enough of the old concrete that we were comfortable we had it deep enough we built the forms on either side to contain the new concrete. We also took this opportunity to replace some of the worn decking boards at either end of the bridge.
After everything was formed and we were ready for concrete, we were forced to call it a day when a heavy line of rain moved into the area.
The rain from Monday continued off and on all day Tuesday, forcing us to delay pouring the new concrete until Wednesday. We did not need enough concrete to warrant a truck load so we decided to mix and pour the concrete by hand. In all it worked out to be about (16) 80lb bags of concrete per side of the bridge.
The finished product turned out great and is a much needed improvement to the bridge and cart path. The transition is barely noticeable as you drive the cart path now.